Why Hire Us?
Looking for the highest level of quality for your portrait or commercial photography project? Look no further than Studio 9 Commercial Photography when the shot has to just about be better than perfect. Owner and head photographer, Don Jones, is one of the most experienced, respected, and awarded portrait and commercial photographers in Colorado Springs, CO.
Services include executive portraits, drone video, food, product, architecture, art, medical photography, and more. Don and his collective team of top local talent photographers will travel to any project site. Or have your project shot at our unmatched state-of-the-art photography studio. Please take the time to browse our website for samples of our work.
Give us a call for a free estimate for your commercial photography project:
What Our Customers Say About Us On Google
About Don Jones, Commercial Photographer
Don Jones is a Colorado Springs commercial photographer and owner of Studio 9 Commercial Photography. Don has been passionate about photography since early childhood. Those early formative years developed his visual literacy, and actively shaped how he sees the world today. After purchasing his first Single Lens Reflex camera at age 14, Don won a local photography contest. He quickly went on to become the head photographer for Palmer High School’s Yearbook. Don’s drive for photography, propelled him to the next step: obtaining a formal education in photography at the prestigious Brook’s Institute in Santa Barbara, California. There, in 1981, he graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Commercial Illustration and a minor in Color Technology.
Upon graduation, Don moved back to Colorado Springs where, before long, he began working in the industry. His new career begun at a local photo lab – where among other tasks, he learned to print large murals. In 1984, he took a photographer position at DIGITAL Equipment Corporation – while on staff he built and grew their photography department over a 7-year period. In 1991, Don accepted a Senior Photographer position at Current Inc. – his responsibilities included: advertising photography, catalog photography and ultimately transitioning the Photography Department from traditional film into the contemporary digital technology era. In 1995, Don left Current to open his very own studio, which he has been growing ever since.
For more than 23 years, Don Jones has been producing award-winning photography for advertising, editorial and fine art clients around the country. Throughout his career, he has been known for his creativity, dynamic lighting and exceptional customer service. Don’s wealth of experience gives him (and his studio) the ability to successfully handle a wide range of creative assignments. His unique work has been selected for dozens of Addy Awards over the years, including 3 National Awards. Having built a strong reputation in Colorado Springs, Don’s clients include some of the most distinguished Advertising Agencies and Magazines in the Pikes Peak region. His extensive experience and knowledge in the industry has allowed him to be a mentor for other photographers and to create Studio 9 Commercial Photography a creative studio were collaboration and creativity are at the forefront.
Don’s passion for fine arts photography has recently led him to a new passion: Wet Plate Collodion Photography. This 19th century technique requires a highly specialized process. An 8×10 Deardorff View Camera, mounting a 400mm f4 Petzval lens (made in 1912), is used to create stunning imagery with a striking vintage character. In addition to this specialized camera equipment, the process includes a moving trailer that allows Don to process the images immediately after capture. You can find out more about this work at Don Jones Photography’s website (coming soon).
- Born Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1981: Graduated with a Bachelors in Commercial Advertising from Brooks Institute of Photography, Santa Barbara, California
- 1984 – 1991: Lead Photographer, Digital Equipment Corporation, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1991 – 1995: Senior Photographer, Current Inc., Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1995 – Present: Don Jones Photography, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 2016 – Present: Studio 9 Commercial Photography, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 2 national awards for portraits of United Way recipients, 1994, 1995, 1 national advertising award for Junior Achievement “I love my job” campaign, 2005.
- Campaigns that Don has worked on have won over 50 Addy awards for excellence in Advertising over his 22 year career. Most recently Don’s photography was featured in Pikes Peak Community College “Surprise” Campaign which won
- “Best of Show” at the 2015 Addy Awards.
- Assisted Annie Leibovitz in 1995 and 1996 during her shooting for “Olympic Portraits” book for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.
- Shoots primarily Commercial Advertising, however my passion is the Fine Art narrative portrait.
- 2,400 square foot studio in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Member ASMP.
Don has a personal photography portfolio website at donjonesphotography.com.